Monday, June 25, 2012

The 7 P’s


My Husband has millions of sayings (business cheese, as I like to mock it), but one of his favorites is the 7 P’s (Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance).  He typically dusts off this gem when I am not prepared and I have to resist the urge to give him the middle finger.  As much as I hate to admit it, he is right and especially when it comes to eating.  The 7 P’s are critical in maintaining a healthy diet.  

I don’t know about you, but when I haven’t planned meals my “go to” quick take out is always total crap (pizza, Thai food, ect).  Over the weekend I didn’t eat breakfast and it was almost 2:00 by the time we had a chance to grab lunch.  I was STRAVING and inhaled a burrito.  If I would have taken the time to go grocery shopping and planned I am confident that I would have made better choices.  

Here are a few planning tips to help you keep on track:
  • Plan and grocery shop for at least 3 home cooked dinners at the beginning of each week.  If you have a plan it will simplify your grocery shopping and (hopefully) your evenings.
  •  Plan quick lunches.  Here are a few of my favs: 
    •  Chicken apple sausage and wilted spinach (one pan, super fast and breaks up the salad monotony)
    • Cottage cheese and fruit
    • Salads (make 2-3 at a time to grab on the go)
    •  Tuna salad (can of tuna, little olive oil or mustard and capers…perfect pantry lunch)
  •  Pack snacks.  We do it for our kids, why not ourselves.  On a typical day I have almonds (love the Trader Joes “just a handful of almonds” packs), water, Lara Bars and fruit. 
  • Stock your fridge and pantry with healthy snacks
I am starting off this Monday with a plan.  What is your nutrition plan for the week? 

No comments:

Post a Comment