Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The "D" Word


That’s right, ladies….we are talking about DIET!  I get asked a lot about what “diet” I used to drop the 50 pounds.  The truth is I think that diets are ridiculously lame.  No one can live their entire lives on a “diet”.  An entire life without cake or pizza is not a life worth living.  I have an AA “one meal at a time” view to eating.  I try to make the best decisions I can, but if I have a hamburger (ok, and probably some fries) all is not lost.  I did not fall off a wagon and more importantly I did not fail.  

For argument’s sake, let’s say that you did go on a super-strict paleo diet (no grains, dairy, refined sugar and you have to wear a loin cloth).  You will lose weight, but how long can you keep it up?  If you are anything like me, the minute my goal is in eyesight I start to binge on everything that I have deprived myself of.  Why not take a more realistic approach?  It will take longer to drop the pounds, but I promise that you will be happier and that the changes will stick.  Take themes (i.e. unprocessed food, limited refined carbs and protein) from your favorite diets and apply the 80/20 rule. 

You are not a contestant on the Biggest Loser.  You are building a healthy lifestyle…be happy.

1 comment:

  1. 80/20 that's what I'm talking about! A realistic approach. Well said!

    ReplyDelete