Monday, September 17, 2012

SUP….my adventure Stand-Up Paddle Boarding.



I have been talking about trying stand-up paddle boarding for AGES and finally did it this weekend.  I started off in the bay.  Yes I feel off my board and I could weave a tall tale about the GIGANTIC wave that took me out (you saw the Perfect Storm, right), but truth be told it was the wake of a boat that put me in the drink.  You may be thinking that this post is about what a great core workout paddle boarding is…yadda, yadda, yadda, but isn’t.  This post is all about being bad-ass!

Before I started on this journey there is NO WAY I would have tried paddle boarding.  Here is a short list of the reasons that I was always a Land Lover:


  • Can I do it?
  • If I fall (inevitable) will I be able to get myself back on the board?
  • I will have to wear a swimsuit (sadly, this is probably the biggest).
  • Will I be mistaken for a wayward manatee?  Will PETA try to rescue me?


Things have changed.  I have changed.  I know that I am strong and I have worked really hard to get where I am today.  Seeing pounds drop off the scale is wonderful.  Buying smaller jeans is terrific.  Compliments are super fun.  NOTHING compares to being able to accomplish something that your weight kept you from doing.  

These accomplishments don’t have to be “marathon” caliber.  Do you want to hang upside-down on the monkey bars with your kid?  Do you want to do a cartwheel again? Do you want to swim?  What have you always wanted to do and what is holding you back?  

My wish for you is that you can do something that makes you feel like a total bad-ass.  Get out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment