Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Numbers….getting real.

I stepped on the scale this morning and saw that I have gained 4 pounds.  Before I stepped on the scale I was feeling pretty good.  After I stepped on the scale I felt defeated.  For me, the chain of events that happen after a bump in weight goes as follow:

  1. I am a whale
  2.  I am PMSing….totally water weight
  3. I have been doing a ton of strength training….4 pounds of pure muscle, bitches
  4. Get the eating under control. You know you have been eating BREAD and sneaking chocolate (see PMSing above)
  5. I need to skip breakfast and run to the nearest spin class
  6. WTF are you doing?!

Sound familiar?  I know enough to know weight fluctuations happen normally and the number on the scale is one of the worst measures of health.  Does that stop me….hell no.  I am a woman.  It is my right to be irrational!

This morning’s process got me thinking about numbers.  I read a fantastic article (http://www.curvygirlguide.com/self-body/self/women-getting-real-about-weight/) about what weight looks like on different women/body types.  Scroll through….some really great perspective.  So, in the spirit of full disclosure here are my numbers (because we are all in this together, right).

Weight: 178-174 pounds (238 lbs at my highest)
Height: 5’10”
Size: 10

There it is, there you have it.  Those are my numbers.  I refuse to let these numbers define me. Moving forward my goal is to focus on the numbers that really matter.  

How many times did I kiss my daughter today? 
How many times have I told my husband and family how much I love them and truly appreciate them? 
How many times I have hugged a friend when she really needed it? 
How many times I can say that my body can do something that it previously couldn’t (I am looking at you, pull-up!)?

These are the things that really matter in life.

Be happy and healthy, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment